tips for dealing with critically ill and hospitalized children
not a moms expertise yet, but it should be. Im going to start with tips i learned from Connor. Feel free to chime in whether you have been here or not.
1. Utilize the social worker. They are a huge help from insurance to finances to transportaion and lodging. They are great listeners and can refer you to programs you may not know about. Ours has been a huge help trying to coordinate everything about North Carolina.
2. If your child is in the hospital, get involved. I have bonded better with Connor since i have started helping the nurses with his care.
3. Dont be afraid to ask questions. The nurses and doctors should make you feel part of the care process. If not, request different ones.
4. If you have other kids at home, make sure you dont neglet them. Someone may be taking care of them, but they still need mommy. If i have to go to the store, i take one of my healthy kids and make it special. Make sure they feel loved.
5. If you are married, involve your spouse. Tell them how you are feeling. Dont neglet them. Make a date night for them.
Lastly, dont neglect yourself. Make sure you are eating and sleeping and staying hydrated. Take breaks frequently. Dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it. It doesnt make you a bad mom, it makes you human. Hope this helps someone.