natural remedies for cough
Coughing is a healthy and important reflex that helps protect the airways in the throat and chest.Coughs caused by the common cold usually go away in a few weeks. Chronic, persistent coughs may be caused by underlying medical problem such as allergies, asthma, or acid reflux. Always check with your doctor before using any home remedies for your cough.
Some natural remedies to try:
1. Warm tea with lemon and honey.
2. Chicken soup.Chicken soup reduced the movement of the neutrophils in blood, which they think lowers activity that causes inflammation and cold symptoms in the respiratory tract. ( source: The Green Pharmacy Guide to Healing Foods)
3.Humidifiers may also help. In a dry home, nasal secretions (snot) can become dried out and uncomfortable. Putting moisture back in the air can help your cough.
4.Ginger tea.Ginger acts as a potent natural anti-inflammatory herbal agent. Most people use ginger tea as a way to soothe their painful throats
5.Lightly cooked garlic or use fresh if you can. Garlic is a wonderful natural antibiotic that can assist in fighting off colds and common upper respiratory infections.
6.Salt and baking soda:Purify 8 ounces of water by boiling for 3 minutes, let cool to room temperature, and dissolve ¼ teaspoon of Morton Salt and ¼ teaspoon of Arm & Hammer baking soda in the purified water. Use a bulb syringe or neti pot to rinse the inside of your nose.
4 tsp of honey
* chop onion into small pieces
* put it into small cup
* add honey and stir well
* let it stand for about 4-5 hours
* after 5 hours you should have some 'onion juice' there
* keep taking this home made cough syrup as often as you need
*you can also add garlic into the mixture
8.Rub Vicks (or cheap equivalent) on your feet and put socks on over the top at bedtime.
9.Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water and cover your head with a towel and breathe in the steam...you will cough, tear up, your nose will run...then you should feel much better
10.My favorite: Eat strawberry Popsicle, top it with honey and lemon