Your teen wants birth control?
So, your teen comes to you and wants birth control. For boys this would be condoms, for girls condoms and possibly an additional method like birth control pills.
Once the shock wears off what do you do? Take them to get/purchase what they need? Refuse? Something else?
Developmentally teenagers bodies are changing and growing. Most of them have the hormones flowing and they WANT SEX. It's crazy to me just to ignore this.
Now, my views on sexuality may be a bit controversial. I have never thought of sex as something you hold out on because:
1. It's wrong to have sex outside of marriage.
2. Only girls with low self esteem have sex.
3. Only girls who are taken advantage of have sex.
4. Girls should make sure they are in love before having sex, because sex is only about love.
5. It is wrong to have an attraction to another person, it means there is something dirty and shameful about you.
I did not and do not want to raise people who as adults feel so sexually inhibited that they cannot enjoy their own sex lives. I am not saying everyone feels that way if they decide not to have sex, what I am saying is I want them to be empowered to be confident in their own sexuality. Not to see it as something to dangle in front of someone, or as something you crave from someone so you will do whatever they want. I want them to know that it's okay, it's natural and if people have shame in it that is their problem and not yours.
So hell yes to birth control. Hands down, no questions asked.
I taught and practiced abstinence but understand that it is not a choice most teens make. Would I rather be the parent of a safe and responsible teenager or a Grandma?