Natural Family Planning?
Do you use natural family planning as your birth control? I really want to but I'm kind of scared. I really don't want to get pregnant for at least another year but I don't want to use any hormonal birth control options. We're using condoms right now, but they're kind of a hassle and not necessarily super effective. So my questions for anyone who does NFP are:
1. How hard is it to track? Is it a hassle to constantly be checking yourself?
2. Is it hard to not have sex during your fertile times? Do you have trouble saying no to yourself/your partner?
3. How effective has it been for you? Do you have any 'unplanned' children?
2. Is it hard to not have sex during your fertile times? Do you have trouble saying no to yourself/your partner? During my fertile time we used condoms of the pull out method to prevent pregnancy.
3. How effective has it been for you? Do you have any 'unplanned' children? It was extremely effective for us, we used it for about 5 years and did not have any unplanned pregnancies.
I would say that it is not hard to track, well, because...there's an app for that! lol I use Period Tracker, it lets you know when you are ovulating as well as how long you have until your next period. My husband was even in on it with me, he would remind me to put dates in and ask if it was a "flower" day, which is the apps way of telling you that you are ovulating. Having him in on it made it easier to track.
The hardest part of natural family planning is that it does require just that...planning. It is not as carefree as hormonal birth control. It takes a bit more commitment and care to make sure that you don't get pregnant but it is not that difficult really. And as long as you track it and keep up on it you should be pregnancy free :-)