Kohlberg's stages of moral development
Kohlberg's theory is that we as humans learn morals in 6 identifiable stages, broken into 3 different levels. I've taken the list of these levels and stages from Wikipedia, and the full Wiki article is linked below. Which stage do you think your children are in? Which are YOU in??
Level 1 (Pre-Conventional)
1. Obedience and punishment orientation - How can I avoid punishment?
2. Self-interest orientation - What's in it for me?
Level 2 (Conventional)
3. Interpersonal accord and conformity - learning social norms
4. Authority and social-order maintaining orientation - law and order morality
Level 3 (Post-Conventional)
5. Social contract orientation
6. Universal ethical principles - Principled Conscience