Pregnancy Risks when your are over 35

Birth defects.

Older women are more likely to have a baby with a chromosome disorder such as Down syndrome. If you are 25, the chance of Down syndrome is about 1 in 1,250. If you are 35, the risk increases to 1 in 400. By age 45, it is 1 in 30.

Miscarriage.

Most miscarriages happen in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy. With age, your risk of early miscarriage goes up. At age 35, the chance is about 20%. By age 45, your chance is 80%.

High blood pressure and diabetes.

You may be more likely to develop high blood pressure or diabetes during pregnancy. These conditions can cause problems including miscarriage, growth problems in your baby, or complications during birth.

Placenta problems.

Placenta previa happens when the placenta covers all or part of your cervix. This can lead to risky bleeding during delivery. If you’re in your 40s, you’re three times more likely to have placenta problems than a woman in her 20s. Even so, the problem is rare.

Premature birth and low birth weight:

Older women are more likely to deliver their babies prematurely, before 37 weeks. As a result, older moms are at risk of having babies weighing less than 5.5 pounds at birth.

01