1. Baby has learned a new word! In addition to “mama” and “dada,” Aries says one other word like “hi,” “bye” or “no.”
2. If I haven’t yet, I’m installing safety gates at the top and bottom of our stairs. Baby wants to climb and explore everything, and I want to keep the stairs off-limits!
3. My baby might become less interested in breastfeeding or bottle-feeding at this age — Aries is so interested in looking around and exploring, Aries doesn’t have time to sit still! I encourage Aries to eat by taking Aries into a quiet, dark room where there aren’t so many distractions.
4. My partner and I are making time for intimacy this week. Even if we don’t have time for sex, we’ll have an intimate conversation and talk about something besides just baby.
5. I’m helping baby learn to entertain herself. I play with Aries for a few minutes, and once Aries is engaged with the toy, I step back and let Aries play by herself. I’m patient with this, and I come back if he gets upset. Sometimes Aries gets so absorbed in the toy, Aries doesn’t even notice when I step out of the room for a minute!
6. I don’t want a picky eater, so I’m offering baby lots of different kinds of foods! I give Aries different types of grains like quinoa and barley, lots of vegetables like cauliflower and zucchini, and various fruits like cantaloupe and pumpkin.
7. My partner and I sat down with each other and any other caregivers to make sure the rules for baby are always the same. Consistent rules will help Aries feel secure.
1. Baby’s brain is growing like crazy, so I’m making sure to give Aries plenty of good fats for brain nutrition! I add a powdered omega-3 supplement or ground flax seed to his meals.
2. Now that baby is getting more mobile and active, Aries is starting to appreciate the playground! I take Aries outside for at least an hour every day.
3. Baby can drink from Aries own cup now! Aries does spill it, but I give Aries a chance to practice regularly while sitting still on the floor or at a little table.
4. This week, I’m doing something fun that’s just for me like watching a silly TV show or movie or reading a good book.
5. I need some morning inspiration. I found a quote or mantra that motivates me, and I wrote it on my mirror with dry erase marker so I can read it every morning.
6. I’m taking lots of pictures this week — and I’m making sure that I’m in some of them, too! I like looking at pictures of baby best, but I know that when Aries is older, Aries will enjoy seeing me in the pictures, too.
7. I talk to baby about time, schedules and memory. I ask questions like, “Where did you leave your sweater?” and I tell Aries what’s happening next in our day. This will help baby develop a sense of how time works.
1. It’s never too early for tummy time! I’ve started laying my baby on Aries’s belly for a few minutes every day to help baby build Aries’s neck and back muscles.
2. I’ve been feeling a little down and stressed. It may just be the “baby blues,” but I’ve scheduled an appointment to talk with my doctor about my risk for postpartum depression.
3. How do I feel about pacifiers? My partner and I have talked with our lactation consultant and decided whether we want to introduce a pacifier.
4. My baby knows me! Aries turns Aries’s head toward my voice and studies my face while I’m talking.
5. Ouch. If I had an episiotomy or tear, I’m adding a few drops of tea tree oil in my bath to help me heal faster.
6. I’m getting my energy back! If I had an uncomplicated vaginal birth, I might be ready to start light exercise with a short walk around the block.
7. Baby is sleeping most of the day, but only for a few hours at a time. I’m doing my best to sleep whenever baby does so I can get some rest during the day. We probably won’t be sleeping through the night for a while!
1. My baby’s crib might look sparse right now — no blankets or pillows! I use a sleep sack to keep Aries warm at night.
2. It may just be a reflex, but it’s still the sweetest thing when my baby grabs my finger if I touch Aries’s palm. Aries also has strong opinions — Aries cries to tell me how Aries feels! Right now Aries can only see black and white patterns, not colors, so Aries likes to look at patterns with strong contrast.
3. I’m in the “fourth trimester,” and I still look pretty pregnant! I’m wearing comfortable clothes, like the maternity pants I wore in the first trimester.